Long time no see!

well I completely forgot about this blog until today when I decided I wanted to start one.

A lot has happened since the last post. 5 weeks ago our 3 amazing adoptive children came home. Our fox Cubs have completed our family (well with the rabbits that arrived just after them) Pink3, blue5 and blue6 are all settling in really well.

In our true style, things didn’t run smoothly to get here. We had approval panel January 2015 where we were approved for one or two siblings. They made a big deal out of our age with one member calling us immature for going to panel when we would be moving 7 months later and at that point didn’t have jobs to move to. (Panel was the Wednesday and I was offered a job on the Friday)

Anyway, like planned we went on hold whilst we made the big move. In July 2015 the school I worked at closed and we moved from Germany to South Yorkshire. What a shock that was to the system! In August we found the home we wanted to buy and just had to wait for the mortgage to be sorted and the house to be built! At the beginning of December we moved into our first ever owned home.

Just before Christmas we got the news we wanted, we were off hold! We were warned we could be family finding for a long time and not to get our hopes up. We were proactive on link mAkers and we had lots of interest over Christmas from social workers, we also had our first taste of disappointment, being told no! The first one was awful, but actually turned out to be the best! The social workers of these 2 children passed our details on to another social worker in the office who sent us an enquiry about 3 siblings- the ones!!

At this point our amazing social worker also told us she was leaving and we would get a new social worker. This upset us as we had a great relationship with her and worried about the next one. However, we shouldn’t have worried. Our new one is equally amazing.

in February we had a busy week, we had social workers wanting to see us about to different sibling groups, ours and another and we were meeting our new sw on the day in between. The sws that were meant to come first cancelled at the last minute deciding not to track from London up here. We were wracked with nerves meeting the sw and family finder of our 3, but needent have worried. They were lovely, they gave us lots of information, photos and videos and we gave them cake! Our old sw was with us and had said not to say yes when we were there so we tried to play it cool! As soon as they left we looked at each other and just knew, as did our sw. She rang them straight away and we heard a squeal of delight from them both! We were linked!

A life appreciation day was booked where we went with our new sw to visit the boys school and talk to their teacher then we met with their fc. This was another brilliant day, lots of information, more photos and more cake! A panel day was booked and introductions scheduled.

Then a few weeks later, bad news! They wanted us to go back to our approval panel and up the aprooval to three. We waited nervously for a panel date, meaning a trip to London.

Approval panel mark 2 arrived, we weren’t as nervous as the last time. We caught the train down south and made our way across to panel where we met both our sws (old one arranged with her new job to come as she knew us better)  they went in, we sat with nerves building. Then we went in, two questions, 5 minutes we all left and waited for their verdict. We didn’t have long to wait, we had done it!

We left  the sws to contact the la and tell them and we made the most of our day, getting back up north was a nightmare, a fire on the mainline caused havoc. An emergency phone call to my mum and she sorted the dogs for us! Mums really are amazing!

The next day I heard from the la, they still wanted us! Panel and introductions  were booked back in, we would only be meeting them a week later than planned!

Their sw came to visit and update us on some negative behaviour changes due to a previous adoptive couple being introduced and then not going forward. Nothing we thought we couldn’t deal with.

panel came and again, it wasn’t a clean sweep, some members thought that adoption was no longer the right plan for eldest because of his behaviour change. So we sat and waited again for the agency decision maker to decide!

On friday 15th April we got the yes we wanted, and introductions were now starting on the Monday! With a frantic search for dog sitters and packing up for a week our last weekend as a family of 2 quickly disappeared.

On monday 18th April 2016 our lives changed for ever! We met our three amazing children. A completely surreal day that seems like a lifetime ago now!



I’ll do separate posts about introductions and life since they arrived later.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s